A home renovation can be a daunting task for many of us. There are more than a million things that one must consider before tackling this formidable makeover. Before you lose your mind deciding how you will start this project, here are eight things that you must contemplate before you refurbish your home.
1. For Whom are You Renovating Your House?
There are mainly three categories of people for whom you might be redecorating your house. These include, but are not limited, to the following –
- For yourself: Self always comes before everyone. If you plan to renovate your own living space, take time to ponder your lifestyle and family requirements. If your children are still toddlers, you should be renovating your home while keeping in mind that the house should be baby-proof. The point is that you should renovate your house while considering what kind of lifestyle you will lead. Try to keep your home design as future-proof as possible.
- For a tenant: If you are redeveloping your property for any potential tenants, you might want to persuade dwellers into settling into your house for an extended period. Refurbish your space following what is in demand. Keep your expenditures low and outputs as high as possible.
- For a potential Buyer: Revamping your house for sale? An excellent choice for excess properties! Narrow down your key demographic of clientele and renovate it according to their interior design tastes and preferences. If your investors are newly married couples, you might want to decide against any constructions that do not fit their lifestyle. For example, you should not form flower beds for a bachelor as this type of furniture needs lots of care for their maintenance.
2. Researching the Perfect Home Design
Once you become completely aware of what you are looking for, commence your detailed research. Carefully review and study all the aspects of your renovated space’s functionality, structure, and flair. Collect samples of various brick designs, tiles, and finishes that you want to be a part of your interior design vision. Aim for perfection in your blueprint for maximum accuracy. This will make it easier for your designer to understand your motif and bring it to life.
3. Preparing yourself for any Hurdles along the Way
While forming a budget for your home renovation, the rule-of-thumb is to arrange 10-20% of your original cost for future alteration. No matter how much we prepare ourselves ahead of time, one thing or another is bound to show itself sooner or later. Ensure that you maintain a strict budget and brace yourself for any unanticipated payments that may sneak up on you later.
4. Follow a Strict Schedule
Having a home design schedule will help you track your progress. You will be able to make an intelligent guess about when your home up-gradation will wind up. Apart from this, having all your physical workforce and contractors stick to a schedule will help prevent chaos. A plan is the most critical thing that will keep you sane amidst all the work.
It would be best to draw an hourly schedule with your refurbishment crew to list all the tasks that need special attention in the slots. The scheduling will help in promoting a sense of accountability among your team members. Better yet, you will be able to break down your renovation period into different phases, such as building a wall, cementing and whitewashing the rooms, and such.
5. Draw up an Accurate Agreement
A lot of people fail spectacularly at setting up an accurate agreement. Writing a contract agreement is very common because people don’t make a written agreement about the price of raw materials or assets such as couches and coffee tables. When the actual transaction comes into action, several external factors come into play. The prices of raw materials for your interior design may have risen. Someone may have already bought the same coffee table that you had chosen.
There may be a communication gap in the home design contractor’s fee. Never have an oral agreement with your framer. Not only can his “consultation fees” rise, but they can also get the better of you by acting as though you had agreed upon a higher price than your original agreement.
6. Form a Realistic and Affordable Budget
It will not be out of the ordinary to make an extravagant budget and overestimate your savings. Take out your time to review your funds properly so that you can make an informed decision. Make your home renovation budget as detailed as possible, while simultaneously keeping your time constraints in mind. List all your material costs, laboring wages, and list their charges along with them.
Use the second part of your budget to list your weekly expenditures and any added costs incurred due to your renovation project. For example, you may have an increased electricity bill because of electric drills.
7. Plan your Temporary Living Arrangement in Advance
Depending on your home renovation project’s size, you may want to step aside from your house while it’s in its re-developmental phase. Considering your family’s peace of mind and education, temporarily moving out of your home may be a smart option. In many cases, relocating for a few weeks in a close relative’s place may prove to be subsequently cheaper than living in your own house with the added expenses.
Check with your friends/relatives, or book some hotel rooms in advance. Why not use Compare Skip Hire to shortlist the good ones, and that without hassles. A little change in the scenery will make this process more pleasant and more comfortable.
8. Choosing the Correct Home Renovation Firm
Take care only to choose professionals who are experts in their fields. Take an inspective look at their portfolios. Most well-known companies will happily provide you with their experts’ qualifications and references from your area who you can call. You must consult the architects in person who will be responsible for refurbishing your place. Sign an agreement only after you are sure of their abilities.
Inform your team about your lifestyle, budgets, and needs. Being open with your team about your facts will help you achieve the best results.
Undertaking a refurbishment project is not as troublesome or strenuous as you might think it is. Choosing the right set of professionals for the job will significantly affect your output. Planning well for the future is the key to perfectly refurbish your property. Choose wisely and plan well.